Development and Financial Contributions
Nelson city continues to experience strong growth in its population, visitors, development and the local economy.
This growth generates increased levels of subdivision and development activity which places greater pressure on the assets and services provided by the Council. Significant investment is required to meet the demands of growth through providing additional assets, or increasing the capacity of existing assets.
Historically, Council has sought a contribution towards the expansion of the city’s reserves, community facilities and infrastructure from those developments that place additional demands on these services. Council has previously levied these contributions under two pieces of legislation:
- Development Contributions: are levied under the provisions of Part 8 Subpart 5 and Schedule 13 of the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA). To make use of these provisions Council must adopt a Policy on Development Contributions as part of the Council’s 10-Year Plan (“Long Term Plan” or “LTP”).
- Financial Contributions: are imposed as a condition of a resource consent pursuant to sections 108, 220, 407 or 409 of the Resource Management Act (RMA) 1991. Under the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017, Councils will no longer be able to levy financial contributions after April 2022.
From 1 July 2018, additional development contributions were introduced to replace the financial contributions previously imposed.
Development Contributions Policy 2021
The Nelson City Council Policy on Development Contributions was adopted on 24 June 2021. This policy became operative on 1 July 2021. Download the Development Contributions Policy 2021 (4.7MB PDF)
Development contributions by activity per HUD
PPI adjusted development contributions by activity per HUD for the 2022/2023 financial year
|Activity||2022/23 Greenfield||2022/23 Brownfield|
|General reserves ||858||858|
Development Contributions Calculator
Council has developed a calculating spreadsheet to assist applicants of simple residential developments to estimate the amount of development contributions that would be payable as a result of a resource consent, building consent or service connection. More complex and commercial developments will be assessed as part of the application and connection approval process. The policy specifies how all developments will be assessed. Download the 2022-23 Development Contributions Residential Calculator. (30KB XLSX)
Existing titles approved prior to 1 July 2021 will continue to be assessed under the policy relevant at the time the application was submitted, and in accordance with conditions or notes on the consent. Development Contributions are expected to gradually replace Financial Contributions over the next 10 years as developments come online. Council’s previous development and financial contributions policies are provided here:
- Development Contributions Policy 2018 (1.9MB PDF)
- Development and Financial Contributions Policy 2015 (2MB PDF)
- Development and Financial Contributions Policy 2012 (846KB PDF)
- Development and Financial Contributions Policy 2009, amended 2010 (134KB PDF)
- Development Contributions Policy 2006 (210KB PDF)
Exemptions, Reconsiderations and Objections
Each policy outlines the exemptions, objections and reconsiderations process relevant to assessments undertaken under each policy.