Proposed contribution to Waimea Dam project
Council is considering making a contribution to the Waimea Dam Project.
The proposal was open for public consultation from 25 October 2017 – 27 November 2017. Since then, a new expert report, Drought Security – Maitai Dam (6.8MB PDF), has been received considering drought impacts for Nelson under various population growth and demand scenarios.
The consultative process has been extended to allow public feedback on the new report. Submissions on this report can be provided from 23 March 2018 until 5pm on 23 April 2018. Hearings will be held in May 2018 and a decision made by the end of June 2018.
Submissions have closed. See the received submissions.
- Read the Statement of Proposal (499KB PDF)
- Report to Council 18 October 2017 (221KB PDF), with more detailed explanation of issues
- Reports on economic value:
- For Nelson: NZIER report: Outflow from a dam – Economic benefits for Nelson City of the proposed Waimea Community Dam, April 2015 (660KB PDF)
- For the Region: NZIER report: Waimea Dam Economic Assessment – Update of economic impact assessment of Waimea Community Dam, July 2017 (692KB PDF)
- Estimated costs for Nelson City Council (75KB PDF): Dam / No Dam
- Proposed Terms of agreement (1.7MB PDF) between Nelson City and Tasman District Council on changes to the water supply agreement
- Technical details on the proposed Waimea Dam (46KB PDF)
- Key parties to the project (213KB PDF)
- Advice from an independent expert, David Benham (98KB PDF), current Board member of Wellington Water, former Chief Executive of the Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) and previously Divisional Manager of Utilities Services managing bulk water responsibilities of GWRC.
- Waimea Dam. Economic Cost of the No-Dam Alternative, Northington Partners, November 2016 (287KB PDF)
- Waimea Dam Economic Assessment Report, NZIER, October 2014 (873KB PDF)
- How to pay for a Dam, NZIER October 2014 (687KB PDF)
- Waimea Community Dam Economic Analysis, John Cook and Associates and Northington Partners, June 2011 (1.5MB PDF)
- Tasman District Council is consulting with their community on the governance of the Waimea Dam and funding of the project costs from 22 October to 26 November 2017. Read a copy of Tasman District Council’s Statement of Proposal