Nelson City Events Strategy
Nelson has a long history of nurturing unique creative endeavours that have grown into iconic events loved by many, such as the Masked Parade, World of WearableArts, and Adam Chamber Music Festival.
Events are important for community wellbeing, as they build feelings of belonging, identity and a sense of pride in our city and help to grow awareness of our diverse community.
Council adopted the Nelson City Events Strategy in May 2018. It seeks to encourage:
- A rich events calendar which maximises opportunities throughout the year
- Measurable economic outcomes for Nelson city
- An events programme that attracts visitors to Nelson and gives the local community a sense of pride in being ‘Nelsonian’
- Promotion of the wellbeing and cohesion of the local community
- A healthy partnership between the events sector, the community and Nelson City Council.
Our vision is events that strengthen the region and its identity, stimulate a prosperous, vibrant and engaged community and deliver value at the right time.
The Nelson Regional Development Agency (NRDA) is the first point of contact for event organisers and administers the Event Funds.
For information about the Events Fund and the fund's application form visit nelsontasman.nz/meet/nelson-event-funding.
In December 2021, Council made a minor amendment to the Strategy to require annual (rather than six monthly) reporting on implementation.