Environmental Grants Scheme
If you are a group or individual working to improve the health of our environment, you may be eligible for an Environmental Grant.
The Environmental Grants Scheme will provide everyone within the Nelson City Council area with an equal opportunity to apply for funds while ensuring great outcomes for improving the environment.
Successful applications will be those that help to achieve one or more of the following objectives:
- Protecting existing native biodiversity on private and public land (i.e. weeding, planting, fencing, possum control, goat control)
- Restoring connections between native ecosystems (i.e. native planting to connect or extend fragmented ecosystems)
- Enhancing native wildlife through predator control (e.g. community trapping projects on private and public land)
- Enhancing habitat for native wildlife within the Nelson Halo and coastal ecosystems
- Restoring riparian margins
- Reducing erosion on farming and forestry land
- Reducing sediment or contaminants in freshwater
We will consider all applications against the same criteria and will be awarding assistance in two categories: grants up to a value of $5,000 and grants up to a value of $20,000. We will also consider support over a number of years for suitable projects.
There will be three funding rounds for Category 1 (August, November and March) and one main round for Category 2 (August).
Applications for the August funding round close 30 August 2019.
Successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement, and report on the delivery of the project.
For more information on the scheme, see our Information for Environmental Grant Applicants page or email email@example.com or call 03 546 0514.
If your project involves work in a Significant Natural Area or one of Council’s Parks or Reserves, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 539 5564 to discuss your application before completing an application form.