Environmental Grants Scheme
If you are a group or individual working to improve the health of our environment, you may be eligible for an Environmental Grant
The Environmental Grants Scheme provides funding to support projects that improve the health of Nelson’s natural environment.
Funding of up to $20,000 is available per project in any one year. However, applicants should note that there are limited funds available and aside from projects mitigating erosion, grants less than $5,000 are more likely to be successful.
Funding is available in 2020-2021 financial year to support groups and individuals with projects that help achieve the following goals:
- Protect existing native biodiversity on private and public land (e.g. weeding, planting, fencing, possum and goat control).
- Restore connections between native ecosystems (e.g. native planting to connect or extend fragmented ecosystems).
- Enhance native wildlife through restoring habitat or predator control (e.g. native planting, community trapping projects on private and public land).
- Restore riparian margins.
- Reduce sediment or contaminants into freshwater
- Reduce erosion on farming and forestry land.
There are two annual funding rounds for the 2020-2021 financial year, in August 2020 and February 2021.
Applications for the February funding round open on Monday 1 February and close on Friday 26 February 2021.
Does your project involve work in a Nelson City Council Park or Reserve, or in a Significant Natural Area on private land? If so, please contact Council at firstname.lastname@example.org, 03 546 0200, to discuss your project BEFORE completing the application.
Council’s Adopt a Spot programme works with groups and individuals taking care of sites on Council land.