Nelson Enterprise Loan Trust

Milestone for NELT
Nelson Enterprise Loan Trust (NELT) Manager Bruce Dyer says the 90 loans made since 1998 total $650,000 and are estimated to have created 1.6 jobs each.

Milestone for NELT

Nelson Enterprise Loan Trust (NELT) Manager Bruce Dyer says the 90 loans made since 1998 total $650,000 and are estimated to have created 1.6 jobs each.

"We are grateful to the people, businesses and organisations that have invested over $90,000 with us," he says. "They are supportive of the concept of wealth being retained regionally by an ethical investment organisation - and we would like to hear from others who are interested in this."

Funding assistance for the trust comes from the Community Employment Group, The Community Trust, The Tindall Foundation, The Ministry of Economic Development, the McKee Trust and the Tasman District and Nelson City Councils.

Further information is available from Bruce Dyer at +64 3 548 7284 or nelt@ts.co.nz

Stepping stones to success

Vaelua Hakaumotu brought his family to Nelson in 2000 and got a job here that used the skills he had built up in Tonga and in Auckland as a stonemason and tiler. He went out in business on his own, with a small NELT loan of $1500 to cover the initial costs of equipment. Vaelua’s success to date includes the complete retiling inside and out of the Nelson Hospital swimming pool. But after many years of tiling he is developing knee problems and is keen to get more work building stonewalls.

"We can do whatever style people want, incorporating sleepers and steps, or with the cement placed internally to give a natural look to the wall itself," he explains.
Vaelua has photographs showing the range of walls he worked on in Auckland - give him a call on +64 3 546 9906 or +64 3 25 880 185 to find out more.

‘Everybody needs a home’

That is the basis of Jan Cotton’s business One-to-One Rentals.

Jan went to NELT with her idea of matching landlords with tenants and managing properties for absentee landlords. They helped with a loan to set up in business in a Dowson Arcade office.

"NELT have been wonderful," she says. "In the beginning when I was seeing only one or two people a week they were supportive and understanding. They’ve helped me into business and by doing so are helping more Nelson people to find homes. I believe in sticking with my people from when they join until they find a home - no matter what end of the market they are at." Call Jan for more information on +64 3 546 7511.