Corridor Access Request

If you are planning to carry out any work or activity within the road corridor (road, footpath and berm) you must have councils approval to do so.  The Local Government Act states that it is a criminal offence to damage the road reserve unless Council has authorised the activity (or it is authorised by other legislation).

Nelson City Council processes requests to undertake work or activities on road reserve via the Corridor Access Request (CAR) system. CARs ensure that all work is done safely and complies with national regulations.

The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors defines the set of standards for working in the road and the Corridor Access Request (CAR) processes. The Code is mandatory under the Utilities Access Act 2010 for road corridor managers (including the Council) and utility operators.  Nelson City Council also applies this process to all other works in the Council’s road corridor – whether the work is for or by a utility, local authority, commercial organisation or private individual.  Note that Utility Operators have separate statutory access rights to the road corridor for the placement, maintenance, improvement and removal of Utility Structures. The Code does not give any right of access to the road corridor.

The CAR is usually applied for by the approved contractor you have engaged to undertake the work on your behalf. 

Real estate signage 

Real estate signage can also damage assets but is lower risk and as such we have created guidence (937KB PDF) to where these can safely be installed. 

Excavation Corridor Access Request (CAR)

If you are:

  • Digging, drilling, resurfacing, or doing any other activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of the road corridor.
  • Placing any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road corridor.
  • Building a new driveway or installing a new stormwater drain that leads into the road corridor.
  • Building a new fence and your work site or equipment encroaches onto the road corridor.
  • Near or opening manhole access covers.

Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR)

If you are:

  • Placing a skip/bin or container.
  • Putting up a temporary scaffolding (mobile or fixed).
  • Using or parking machinery such as cranes, cherry pickers and water blasters.
  • Applying for a full or partial road or footpath closure to carry out work on or above the road.
  • Accessing manholes, pits or any above ground assets.

 Steps to applying for a CAR

Submit CAR applications online at

  • Step 1: Register or log in to
  • Step 2: Create a new application, type: Excavation.
  • Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required documentation.
           • You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
  • Step 4: Submit.
  • Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your NCC contact person, and a summary of your submission.
  • Step 6: The Council Corridor Access team will review your application and will contact you for your final start date before the work can be approved.
  • Step 7: Council will approve the application or let you know if more information is needed

Detail required in CAR application

  • a preliminary plan indicating scope and scale of the works, including depth and route of any utility structure and with respect to road corridors and the presence of and adjoining utility structures, kerbs, footpaths and trees.
  • Details of how work is to be undertaken
  • Start and finish dates and hours of work
  • Confirmation that all locates have been undertaken
  • Temporary Traffic management plan

All Traffic Management must comply with NZTAs CoPTTM 4th edition  and be submitted by a qualified STMS.

Approval, cost and payment


Submitting an application is not an authority to start work, unless it is an emergency. You must wait until you receive your approved permit by email.

Applications must be made at least 5 working days before work starts, although they are usually processed faster.


These fees are separate to any fees incurred by third  party service providers to complete Traffic Management Plans or other work. Fees are listed below.


The applicant will be the bill-payer for all activities unless Council approves other arrangements. The bill-payer (applicant) must submit a completed customer application form or supply their customer number before their application will be processed.

Starting work and closing off when complete

Starting work

Work can start once your CAR and TMP is approved. If undertaking excavation work you must have a current Work Access Permit (WAP) issued.

Closing off a CAR

When you have completed the work and made appropriate reinstatement, log in to Submitica and change the status of the job to “Work Completion Notified”.

We will be automatically notified that the job has been completed and an AT Compliance Auditor will carry out an inspection to certify the work is up to standard.

Completed work is put on a 2-year warranty period. If it fails (or the reinstatement is not up to standard), you are liable for correction work.



Until 30 June 2023

From 1 July 2023

Standard C.A.R Fees $167.84  $179.92
Re-inspection fee (1) $83.92  $89.96
Multiple openings on one application where work is deemed to be one job (2)  $27.27  $29.66
Emergency Work Fee (3) $58.74  $62.97
Non Approval Penalty (4) $419.60  $449.81

Inspection and Mobile only Generic TMP
(valid for a maximum 12 months)

$83.92   $89.96

Generic TMP
(valid for a maximum 12 months)

$314.70   $337.36
Site specific TMP – footpath/berm works only  $41.96  $44.98
Site Specific TMP
(1-8 TMDs not incl. installation/removal)
 $83.92   $89.96
Site Specific TMP
(8+ TMDs not incl. installation/removal) – i.e. Project works
 $125.88  $134.94
Revision/Update after approval  $41.96  $44.98

(1) Re-Inspection fee - Where remedial work is required i.e. work is put in defect, and a inspection is required to ensure remedial work is completed to Nelson City Council satisfaction.

(2) Multiple openings - only apply where there are more than one excavation related to a single job, a charge for each opening other than the initial excavation.

(3) Emergency Work Fee - For emergency works only to be applied for as soon as possible and must include a reinstatement photo

(4) Non Approved Penalty notice for not submitting a Car application, this fee is on top of a standard Car application fee.